Phase 4 (Self Assessment)

Miguel Beltre

English 1000

April, 24 2023

Professor Shearer

Self-Assessment Essay

(Phase 4)

In this essay, I’ll be exploring my personal and professional development, reflecting on what I’ve learned, through this semester of English in college. As I look back on the past few months of my spring semester, I realize how much I’ve grown and changed when it comes to my composition in English. I have progressed with my  citations conventions and I got much better at analyzing writing and reading. A big part of my growth through this class was understanding rhetorical situations. Through the essay  I will be talking about one of my cover letters and some of my essays and peer reviews which will show my progress. This self-assessment essay will allow me to explain those advancements in depth.

One of the things that I have progressed the most with has been with citations convection. Citations convection is the process of changing the format of a citation from one style to another. There are many styles to choose from. I Generally always chose The Chicago style, but I decided to try doing MLA which I have always struggled with doing. I got much better when doing the Bibliographies. One example of my progression can be shown down below: 

There is an example of my citations convection and bibliography, in that example shows how my citations in MLA forms have gotten much better. MLA citation style requires the sources used in a research paper or essay be cited in two places: in the text of the paper and in a works cited page at the end of the paper. 

Another thing that I got much better at is analyzing writing and reading.

Analyzing writing and reading involves examining written works and understanding their meanings and points. It involves identifying key themes and literary techniques, as well as considering the social context in which the work was produced. By analyzing writing and reading, we can gain a deeper understanding of the world around us and the ways in which language is used to communicate ideas and influence our thoughts and behaviors. Analyzing writing and reading is a valuable skill for me academically. Anyone who wants to improve their ability to communicate and understand should exercise analyzing writing and reading. One example of that is 

As shown in the picture above I am able to analyze the writing on June Jordan’s essay. I am able to analyze the writing because it is a very long and complex essay and I was able to understand much more of the author’s writing. But wouldn’t be able to happen If I wouldn’t be able to first analyze the reading of the article(essay) in which did good at. 

The last thing that had a big impact on my growth through  class was understanding rhetorical situations. Rhetorical Situations refers to the context, audience, and purpose of a particular communication or message. It involves analyzing the speaker or writer’s intent, to grab the reader’s attention. Some of the most common rhetorical devices are Logos, Ethos and Pathos; they are the three big pillars that are used for the reader, writer and the listerner. Identifying those devices is a very important example that shows that is when I had to do a rhetorical analysis for one of my favorite songs.

As shown in the image above I identified the rhetorical devices that Drake uses in the song lyrics. Those rhetorical devices helped me create effective arguments in which I can persuade the readers in many different ways. When using Logos I use evidence, facts, and argumentation to convince the audience. When I am using Pathos I pursue the reader by using emotions to grab their attention; and lastly I use ethos for the authority of what I am talking about.

In conclusion, my personal and professional development, reflecting on what I’ve learned, through English class. Throughout this essay, I have identified my strength in communication and understanding writing. I showed how I have progressed and took a step back and reflected on my new strengths like citations conventions, analyzing writing and reading and finally having a bigger understanding of rhetorical devices.